MagicBands were introduced at Disney as part of an overhaul to the Disney website, the creation of My Disney Experience, the introduction of a Disney app, and the overhaul of FastPass distribution. These colorful, customizable, and comfortable bracelets hold everything you need to enjoy a day at any of the Disney parks – room key, credit card, admission ticket, FastPass+ repository, they’re even waterproof! Even though MagicBands are on-sale at most gift shops and are given to every resort guest as their room key, here are 7 tips for you to customize your MagicBand to make it like no other!
7. Select your favorite color – Many times when I have visited a Disney resort, I will notice a family picking up their MagicBands and see that all of them have the same color – gray. Gray is the default color and if you do not set up a My Disney Experience account, you won’t be able to change your color – they come in red, blue, green, yellow, orange, pink, and gray. As the MagicBands have become more popular, Disney has even introduced Limited Edition MagicBands for special events – I have a Yoda MagicBand from the 2014 Star Wars Weekends at Hollywood Studios. I’ve also seen Frozen MagicBands and Disney has been selling special MagicBands for hard-ticket events like Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. A special color or MagicBand is a surefire way to remember your trip!!
6. Customize your name – Disney allows you to have your name engraved on the back of the MagicBand. You can always go basic with just your name, but you can also include nods to any special event you may be celebrating. I still have my “Tyler30” MagicBand in celebration of my 30th birthday!
5. Link a credit card to your MagicBand – currently this option is only available to guests staying on-site at a resort hotel, but I’m sure Disney will expand the functionality to day guests soon. In addition to placing a credit card on file with the resort to cover any incidental charges, you can link your credit card to your MagicBand and protect it with a 4-digit PIN. This makes buying snacks or souvenirs quicker and easier and gives you more time to enjoy in the parks!
4. Get a MagicBand Slider – these pieces are designed to slide onto your MagicBand. Available in various styles, it makes the MagicBand resemble a wristwatch and make the functional part of the MagicBand (the Mickey icon) easier for you to see and position when entering the parks and gaining access to rides!
3. Get a MagicBand Coverband – these cloth covers slide onto the MagicBand and are available in a variety of different styles. Be aware that these will cover up the color that you’ve picked out, but they are a good way to make your MagicBand truly standout in a crowd!
2. Do some homemade crafting – sites like Pinterest and etsy have a variety of ideas and tips to modify your MagicBands at home. If you book your resort early enough in advance (and have a dedicated packing plan so you don’t forget them at home), Disney will send you your MagicBands in advance. This is one of the best ways to get everyone in the family excited for their trip to the House of Mouse!
1. Get some BandIts – these are my favorite addition to my MagicBands. Many gift shops sell a variety of different BandIts – varying from Mickey and Goofy to Stitch, the Muppets, and Cinderella’s Castle, these pieces of Disney bling are a great way to rock your Disney side and show off a little of your personality. I usually slap on Mickey, Yoda, and, because of my slight OCD tendencies, the icon of the park I will be visiting that day.
Some people look at MagicBands as just bracelets that can get them into their rooms and on rides, but I look at them as an extension of your personality. These are some of my favorite ways to customize them and to make them instant souvenirs of your Disney trip!
Photo courtesy of Disney Photo Snapper