Walt Disney World is one of the most exciting and entertaining amusement parks in the world. The rides are thrilling, the attractions are extraordinary, the shopping is outstanding, and the food is sensational. Speaking food, I would like to offer my list of ten salty snacks for those gaps between meals, when the crowds are getting larger, the lines longer, and the weather hotter. Take a break, grab a quick snack, and rest your feet for a few moments. Here is my list of quick and convenient “salty snacks”. Also, several of the food items mentioned can be turned into a meal by adding other elements, such as fruit, chips, fries, etc. For the purposes of this article, I am highlighting them as “snacks”.
10. Packaged Snacks — I know it doesn’t sound very unique, but I myself have taken advantage of these packaged snacks that can be found all over the Disney World Parks and Resorts. Usually in one of many souvenir shops you will find an entire section of packaged nuts, mixed nuts, trail mix, caramel corn, and numerous other salty treats. These snacks are perfect for those times when you just want to rest your feet for a moment, or enjoy while waiting in line for a ride or attraction. Keep them in your bag, and snack on them all day.
9. Turkey Legs — Turkey Leg Cart/Frontierlan/Magic Kingdom – These jumbo sized turkey legs are delicious; crisp on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside, with a delectable smoky flavor. Share it with a friend or family member. Pass it around. These turkey legs could certainly be a lunch item, but when shared, they make excellent salty snacks that can be enjoyed by more than one person. That between meal hunger pang will be satisfied, and it’s fun to watch as the extra turkey legs get smaller and smaller, and faces get messier and messier. You’ve got to try one of these popular meaty treats at least once.
8. Corn Dog Nuggets – Casey’s Corner/Main Street/Magic Kingdom — Another scrumptious snack is a mini hot dog encased in a thick cornbread coating. Try them with some hot cheese—yum, yum! These
tasty treats are served in a cup for your convenience so you can take them with you and eat while you walk, or find a good place along the parade route, and much away!
7. Chili Cheese Fries — Pecos Bill’s Tall Tale Inn and Café/Frontierland/Magic Kingdom — If you are a fan of French fires, hot melted cheese, and Western style chili, you will find this salty snack to be the answer to your craving. The fries are crunchy, with a hearty serving of beefy chili, and topped with hot cheese. There is a condiment bar if you want to add more cheese, onions, mustard, or ketchup, etc. Pecos Bill’s is along the parade route, so you can bring your snack to the curbside and enjoy this absolutely tantalizing treat.
6. Soft Pretzel — Launching Pad/Tomorrowland/Magic Kingdom — One of my favorite snacks is the Mickey shaped soft pretzel. These oversized pretzels are warm and browned to perfection, with just the right amount of salt, and soooo yummy. Try them with a side of cheese—awesome! These delightful treats can also be found at the Fife and Drum Tavern, Liberty Square/Magic Kingdom, near the American Adventure attraction/Epcot/World Showcase, or on the Streets of America at Hollywood Studios. This is another treat you can share with a friend.
5. Chili-cheese Nachos with Pico de Gallo and Jalapeno — Herbie’s Drive In/Hollywood Studios – This small stand is located near the roundabout at the Streets of America. It is here you can purchase this snack which is a small version of Nachos with the flavor and ingredients of a normal sized order of Nachos, with the addition of the tangy Pico de Gallo and Jalapeno. You can request a customized order if you would rather not risk the heat of the Jalapeno or spices of the Pico de Gallo. For a small order, these Nachos snack packs a big taste and is a perfect afternoon or evening snack.
4. Fish & Chips — Epcot/UK Pavilion/World Showcase — For the best fish and chips in the World, Walt Disney World, that is, check out the Yorkshire County Fish Shop at the UK Pavilion at World Showcase at Epcot. The fish is fresh, the crunchy batter is not too greasy or heavy, and the chips are a unique blend of potato chips and French Fries. If you’re taking a tour of World Showcase, and you enjoy a good fish snack, this is the place to go, and since you can get it to go, you don’t have to spend a lot of time waiting to be served. It is counter service, so grab your snack, find a good place to sit, and enjoy!
3. Chicken Fried Rice — Animal Kingdom — Yak & Yeti Local Foods Café — This classic mix of rice, eggs, veggies, and chicken can be customized to fit your taste buds with your favorite sauces from the condiment counter. This is a great snack and comes in a classic take-out box container, very inexpensive, and a perfect afternoon or evening snack.
2. Roasted Corn — Liberty Square/Magic Kingdom/Liberty Square Market — Most of us at one time or another have eaten roasted corn on the cob, either from our backyard grill or at a company picnic. I have enjoyed this American classic too, but I have never enjoyed it as much as I have from this outdoor market located near the “Hall of Presidents” attraction in Liberty Square at the Magic Kingdom. The corn is roasted right there, and the odor rising from the grill makes heads turn whenever people walk by. I had never eaten roasted corn at an amusement park, so I was not sure what to expect, but the smell was so tantalizing, I had to give it a try. What I got was so scrumptious; hot, buttery, with a great crunch, but not overly crisp, and the charring was perfect; no burnt taste at all; very delicious. There are spices available in shakers if you want to add a little kick to your corn. I know it sounds “corny”, but this tasy treat will “knock your socks off”!
1. Popcorn — All over the World/All the Parks — Carts selling popcorn can be found all over the place in every Disney Park, and most visitors who have tried it agree that it is the best tasting popcorn in the world. The aroma of freshly popped popcorn hits you as soon as you enter Main Street at the Magic Kingdom, and as you pass the cart selling the popcorn, it is so hard to resist indulging in a box right then. This is one of the best and easiest snacks to enjoy. You can take a small amount of popcorn, stuff it in your mouth, and enjoy the moment. They say it’s hard to eat just one potato chip; well it’s doubly hard to eat just one handful of WDW popcorn. An additional plus for purchasing popcorn at Walt Disney World is the large variety of themed collectible containers that are available at all the Parks, such as Holiday themed containers, a Dumbo-shaped holder, containers with all the characters, R2D2, and the latest addition, Cinderella’s coach. So, in addition to the most flavorful popcorn in the “World”, you will have an awesome souvenir to bring home.
The bottom line here is the fact that there are a whole host of Disney “salty snacks” at any of the Disney
parks and resorts. Try a few of the ones mentioned here, and find some not mentioned. There are so many choices. I would recommend experiencing some flavors and ingredients you may not have tried before. Snacks are important for traveling around Walt Disney World. The three main meals are important also, but all that walking can work up an appetite, and a small snack at different times of the day will not diminish the enjoyment of any quick service or table-service dining. Also, sometimes a quick snack a couple of hours before your dining reservation, helps to quell your hunger a bit, and you may enjoy your lunch or dinner even better.
Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best price for your vacation, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius!