Combining the great outdoors and Walt Disney parks could be the best of two vacations, and that’s just what you’ll get at Fort Wilderness Campground at Walt Disney World. Here are 10 reasons to consider “roughing it” at The Place Where Dreams Come True…
10. Room for Big Families – Wide open spaces beckon, especially when you have a large group to accommodate. The sites at Fort Wilderness will each host up to 10 guests (whereas resort rooms will only hold 5 guests each). This way, you can bring everyone AND all their stuff!
9. Well-Equipped Sites – There are a variety of campsites available at Fort Wilderness Campground for everything from tent camping to 45’ long RV’s. Each site is paved and surrounded by forestry. Depending on your needs, your site could include water, power, sewer, a grill, a picnic table, and even cable.
8. Swimming and Water Sports – There’s no lack of water activities when camping at Fort Wilderness. With Disney-caliber pools, waterslides, splash areas, and hot tubs, there are plenty of ways to cool off. And because the campground sits right on Bay Lake, you can also choose from lots of water sports such as boat rentals, kayaks, canoes, and even nearby waterskiing and parasailing.
7. Transportation – Fort Wilderness is situated on over 750 acres! But don’t let the size scare you. There is convenient bus transportation to help you navigate within the grounds, as well as bus or water transportation to the parks. But in true campground style, many guests choose to get around via bike or golf cart.
6. Wildlife – Because of the rugged landscape, many species of Florida wildlife still make their home in Fort Wilderness Campground. Enjoy watching rabbits, deer, birds, and armadillos from your own picnic table. You’re also allowed to bring your own furry friends along! Pets are allowed to camp with their families, under certain restrictions.
5. Recreation – There is always something to do at Fort Wilderness Campground. Take your pick of playgrounds, tether ball, horseback riding, carriage rides, archery, arcades, or biking trails. Plenty of activities for the whole family!
4. Easy on the Budget – The basic tent site is currently a mere $52 per night, but a site with all the fixin’s will run around $86. While that may sound more expensive than other campgrounds, remember that you are still enjoying the privileges of staying on Walt Disney property (such as Extra Magic Hours) for a fraction of resort room prices.
3. Cabins – For those in your party that may be opposed to campsite camping, there are individual cabins available at Fort Wilderness. Cabins come complete with a air conditioning, a full kitchen, bathroom, living room, porch, and bedroom. You can even have groceries delivered! And the best part might just be that housekeeping still comes to clean up for you. Of course, a cabin is pricier at around $300 per night, but it definitely offers great amenities and privacy.
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Disney travel deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius! Discover More >
2. Dining – Fort Wilderness Campground is home to the popular Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, a lively musical dinner show. You’ll also find Mickey’s Backyard BBQ here, complete with character line dancing and finger-lickin’ cooking. Trails End is casual table service restaurant with down-home, country comfort food. Reservations are highly recommended for those venues, but for last minute counter service try P&J’s Southern Takeout or the Meadow Snack Bar.
1. After Hours – When the sun goes down at Fort Wilderness, the fun is only just beginning. Join Chip and Dale around the campfire for some songs, silliness, and s’mores. Then, enjoy a Disney movie under the stars surrounded by your loved ones. Now that type of “roughing it” sounds pretty good to me!
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Walt Disney World deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius!
You May Also Like: