The Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida is the most popular family vacation destination in the world. It consists of 4 theme parks, 2 waterparks, 2 shopping/dining/entertainment venues, 5 golf courses and over 20 resort hotels. There is something for everyone at the “Vacation Kingdom”. For thrill junkies, Disney’s Hollywood Studios is the place to be! If someone in your family likes roller coasters, head over first thing to Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith for a thrilling ride through the streets of Hollywood! Here are 8 Fun Facts about Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster.
1) Opening day – Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster opened on July 29, 1999 and is located at the end of Sunset Boulevard, an area of the park which also features The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Because both attractions are located in the same area AND both are very popular, many guests head down Sunset Boulevard at park opening. *Bonus fact: The same attraction opened on March 16, 2002 in Disneyland Paris. It is currently the fastest roller coaster in France.
2) Big Thrills – Guests must be at least 48” tall to ride Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. First time riders and parents should know that this attraction is considered high thrill. There are 3 inversions, 2 rollover loops, one corkscrew and loud music and bright lights throughout. One more warning: This coaster uses a rocket start (picture a drag race). 0 to 60 is 3 seconds and you will experience 4.5 G forces, more than astronauts do on a space shuttle launch!
3) What’s the story? – Disney loves a good backstory, which enhances the guest experience. The idea for Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster is that you are visiting a backstage recording session by the rock band Aerosmith. On a whim, they invite you to their concert across town in Los Angeles. The problem is they (and you) are running late. To get you there quickly, they hire a stretch limo for you and all your friends. At that point, you board the coaster for a thrilling, high-speed ride through the streets of LA! *Bonus fact: Actress Illeana Douglas stars as Aerosmith’s manager. You may remember her from a Seinfeld episode, where she plays one of George’s girlfriends. George is perplexed by her oddly colored “winter tan”.
4) It’s time to jam! – Your super-stretch limo comes decked out with a 125-speaker, 24 sub-woofer, 32,000 watt audio system. Each limo broadcasts different Aerosmith songs, so don’t be surprised if your experience is a little different if you ride more than once. Aerosmith songs include: “Walk This Way”, “Dude (Looks Like a Lady)”, “Sweet Emotion”, “Back in the Saddle” and “Love in an Elevator”, which has been rewritten to “Love in a Roller Coaster” specifically for this attraction.
5) Vanity Plates – The license plates for each of the super-stretch limos are quite unique. Can you figure out each one? They are: UGOGIRL, BUHBYE, H8TRFFC, 1QKLIMO and 2FAST4U. Making the license plates even cooler is that there is a Hidden Mickey on each plate and Imagineers put their birthdays on them.
6) Facts & Figures – The huge electric guitar that sits outside the entrance and exit of Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster is a Fender Stratocaster and stands a whopping 40 feet tall! It’s a great photo op! The super-stretch limo that you ride in is based on a 1962 Cadillac.
7) Your Limo Company– Under normal operations, 5 limos are used. However, there is a 6th limo in the fleet of ride vehicles of Rock’n’Roller Coaster. This vehicle is without a license plate, and is always “in refurbishment.” The vehicles are rotated in and out of use after a period of many thousands of laps around the track. However, the maintenance teams will switch out the license plate and add the proper song to the new vehicle every time a rotation is made.
8) Single riders – Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster is one of just a few Disney World attractions that has a “single-rider” line, in addition to the regular queue. If you are riding solo or your group doesn’t mind splitting up, you can save significant time in line. The cast members use the single riders to fill in limos with empty seats.
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Walt Disney World deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius!