In the most basic sense, Walt Disney World resort hotels fall into 3 categories: Value, Moderate and Deluxe. In the moderate category, there are 4 hotels: Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter. Disney’s moderate resorts hit the “sweet spot” in terms of price and amenities, compared to other resort categories. Here are 9 Reasons Why You’ll Love Staying at Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter Resort!
1) Room rates – Depending on the season, room rates run from the mid-$100’s to the high $200’s. Room rate options include standard view (parking lot), pool view, river view (the beautiful Sassagoula River), king-sized bed, and garden (landscape) views. Obviously, the nicer the view, the higher the nightly rate. In addition, when school is out, rates are higher. The typical room is 314 sq. feet. ALL rooms were completely redecorated in spring/summer of 2011. The moderate resort rooms are ideal for families of 4 or less and for couples.
2) Location, Location, Location – French Quarter is located in the heart of Walt Disney World property and is therefore convenient to everything Disney offers. As you might have guessed from the opening paragraph, the Port Orleans Riverside hotel is a sister resort to Port Orleans French Quarter and sits directly adjacent. Guests at French Quarter can access the pools, restaurants/lounges and gift shops at Riverside, thereby doubling the fun!
3) New Orleans (sanitized) – French Quarter has a feel complete with larger than life carnival masks and trombone playing alligators, and the charm and romance of the French Quarter.
4) Resort size – Unlike the other moderate resorts, French quarter is compact in size. Even the farthest building location is only a 4-5 minute walk from the main building, gift shop and food court. In addition, there is one bus stop near the front of the resort.
5) Pool – The swimming pool here is spectacular! The Doubloon Lagoon includes an “Alligator Band” playing (shooting water) on the side of the pool and a water slide in the form of a giant serpent. Plenty of fun awaits the entire family! The pool is located in the back of the hotel property.
6) Dining/lounges – Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory is a food court where you can dine around Mardi Gras Parade props in a warehouse setting. It is open from 6:00am – midnight. You can also go over to Port Orleans Riverside and have dinner at Boatwright’s, the full service restaurant. Sassagoula Pizza Express delivers pizza until midnight. There is one lounge called Scat Cat’s Lounge and one bar. Scat Cat’s Lounge is located in the main lobby building. The hours are 4:30pm – 12:30am. You can order alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages. The bar is located by the pool and is open from 12:00pm to 10:00pm. You can order alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages.
7) King/Queen beds – One of the best reasons to consider stepping up from a value to a moderate resort is the bed size. Most rooms at French Quarter have two queen beds, perfect for families. Upon request, you can book a room with a king bed, which works great for couples.
8) Bus/boat transportation – At French Quarter, you can catch a Disney bus to any of the theme parks, water parks or Downtown Disney (Disney Springs). Perhaps the best reason to stay at French Quarter is the boat transportation to Downtown Disney. Boats depart every 20 minutes from 11:00am to 4:00pm and every 10 minutes from 4:00pm to 11:00pm. The boat dock is in the back of the hotel property. This is not only a convenient way to get to Downtown Disney, but it’s also a fun (and even romantic) ride through the wilderness.
9) Amenities – The New Orleans theme is capped off by nightly carriage rides. A relaxing 25-minute carriage ride will carry you through Disney’s Port Orleans Resort. Carriages hold up to 4 adults or 2 adults and three small children. Reservations begin nightly at 6pm. Pick up is at Port Orleans Riverside in front of Boatwright’s Dining Hall. A 25 minute ride costs $45 (tax included). Tickets are sold by the carriage drivers. Cash and Disney Resort guest room charge are accepted. Advance reservations can be made by calling WDW-PLAY. Other resort amenities include a Jacuzzi, surrey bikes for rent, boat rentals, an arcade and fishing excursions. French Quarter gives you plenty of reasons to skip the parks and spend a day at your resort!
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Walt Disney World deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius!