What’s better than a chocolate cupcake? How about a TRIPLE chocolate cupcake?! If you’ve been to the popular Be Our Guest Restaurant at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, you might be familiar with the decadent and delicious triple chocolate cupcake pictured here. Thanks to D23, we can now bring this fan-favorite dessert home with a recipe straight from the restaurant! Happy baking, Disney fans!
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup espresso
4 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Disney travel deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius! Discover More >
12 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
2. Sift cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside. Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until each is completely incorporated before adding the next. Beat in vanilla extract.
3. With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture and sour cream, beginning and ending with flour.
4. Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes.
5. Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
FOR SIMPLE SYRUP:
Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and cool completely.
FOR CHOCOLATE MOUSSE:
1. Heat 3/4 cup cream in a small saucepan until hot. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar, in a medium bowl until well combined; add hot cream to egg yolk mixture in a slow stream, whisking until combined.
2. Transfer mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens slightly, about 4 to 5 minutes. Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl; stir in espresso.
3. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring frequently until melted. Whisk chocolate into egg yolk mixture until smooth. Refrigerate until very cold.
4. Beat remaining 1 1/4 cups cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until medium-stiff peaks form.
5. Whisk 1/4 of whipped cream into chocolate custard to lighten mixture, then fold in remaining cream gently until completely combined but still light.
FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
1. Place chocolate in a medium heat-safe bowl.
2. Heat cream in a small saucepan until hot (do not boil). Pour cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate melts.
3. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
1. Cut out centers of cupcakes using a paring knife held at a 45 degree angle, cutting in a circle, to create a cone shape. Remove cupcake centers, set aside.
2. Brush top of cupcakes with simple syrup or spoon it over top to heavily moisten.
3. Fill cupcake centers with chocolate mousse. Place cut out cupcake center on top of chocolate mousse, with point of cupcake center facing up. (Refrigerate any remaining mousse, tightly covered, up to 3 to 4 days.)
4. Pipe chocolate ganache on top of cupcakes starting at the outer edges, slowly moving in and up to the top.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., and may not be reproduced without express permission.