If you’re going to treat yourself to a delicious, warm holiday drink, make it extra special with Mickey! Hot chocolate will never be the same after you try this extreme take on a chocolate favorite from DisneyFamily. It’s all about the embellishments — cocoa powder on whipped cream, candy on top and bottom, extra treats on the side like a little marshmallow Mickey, and even the mug itself becomes a treat! My mouth is watering just thinking about Mickey’s Festive Hot Chocolate.
Mickey’s Festive Hot Chocolate
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1/8 Cup cocoa powder, plus extra for garnish
- Dash of salt
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Cups milk
- 1/4 Tsp vanilla extract
- White chocolate melts
- Zip-top bag
- Festive sprinkles
- Mini and regular marshmallows
- Mini and large candy canes
- Whipped cream
Helpful Tip: All cutting should be done by an adult.
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Disney travel deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius! Discover More >
1. For hot chocolate: combine sugar, cocoa, salt, and water in a sauce pan, mix, and continue to stir over medium heat until it boils.
2. Once it boils, bring the heat down and add the milk. (But don’t let it boil again.)
3. Keep stirring, then remove from heat and add vanilla.
4. For decorating: Melt the white chocolate candy in a microwave-safe bowl in 15-second increments until it’s completely melted. Stir in between each 15 seconds.
5. Place the melted candy in a zip-top bag, then cut a small hole in one corner. This is your piping bag. Then pipe the melted candy around the mugs, including large drips coming down the sides. (Tip: smooth with a spoon when you finish piping.)
6. While it’s still warm, pour festive sprinkles all over the melted candy. Then place mugs in the freezer.
7. Next, take one regular marshmallow and two mini marshmallows to make Mickey! Break a toothpick in half and attached the two ears.
8. Using a knife, cut a slit on the bottom to make it easier to add him to the rim of the mug.
9. To crush the candy canes, simply place them on a cutting board while they’re still in the wrapping and use a large spoon (or other heavy kitchen utensil) to crush them. Then open the packets and pour into a bowl.
10. Take the mugs out of the freezer and let them sit for 5-10 minutes. Then pour the hot chocolate inside. Top with LOTS of whipped cream.
11. Pro Tip: Cut a hole out of the middle of a piece of paper, then hold this above the whipped cream while you sift cocoa powder on top. This way, it only goes on the whipped cream, and not all over the place!
12. Add the marshmallow Mickey, a large candy cane, a straw, and more sprinkles! Then add the crushed candy canes, peppermints, and sprinkles around the bottom of a small plate.