“I am Groot.” That’s all it took from Baby Groot and our hearts melted. Family.Disney.com understands Groot’s all around cuteness as a star in Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2. Why not bring this little guy into your kitchen with some yummy Baby Groot-inspired cookies! He is Groot, after all!
Baby Groot Gingerbread Cookies
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted brown butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- For Icing: 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Black, green, and brown food coloring
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Disney travel deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius! Discover More >
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and molasses, and beat on medium speed until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low, and gradually add the flour mixture until just combined.
- Form dough into a disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Unwrap the dough and place it on a large, lightly-floured hard surface. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough 1/8-inch thick. Cut out Groot cookies using a template. I found one online. Transfer to parchment-covered baking sheets.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- To Decorate: Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. If your icing is too thin, add in a little more powdered sugar. Divide icing into 3 bowls and make each color.
- Use a piping bag, or a ziplock bag (with the corner snipped off), to pipe the icing onto the cookies. For Groot’s details, I used black icing for this eyes and mouth. Added vines around his body with brown icing and used green icing for the leaves.