As avid Disney visitors, my family has a very specific way of saying good-bye to our favorite vacation spot. So besides having tissues at the ready for those post-Disney withdrawal tears, here are a few things to do on your last day at Disney to help savor the magic a little bit longer. As a rule, we usually don’t spend our last day in the park. We try to book an evening flight and then spend the last hours soaking up the Disney life doing some other things.
5. Downtown Disney – We always save our souvenir shopping for the last day. We look around during the days we are at the parks, and if there is something we can’t live without, we get it, but for the most part we wait and hit up all the great stores at DTD. It keeps us from any impulse buys during our visit and helps the kids see all their options first. The one thing you will want to keep in mind is how much room you have in your luggage for any large purchases you may want to make. Also don’t forget the other fun things to do at Downtown Disney besides shop, like Disney Quest or taking the boat ride around the area.
4. Take one last dip – If your travel plans allow, take a swim at the pool or lounge poolside before heading home. We have been known to have almost as much fun at the pool as some of the parks themselves. I guess there is something about playing Disney movie trivia with 100 strangers that makes you feel like you are with friends. It also allows you to relax before traveling back to the stress of reality and it helps remind you what vacation should feel like if the parks had you a little overwhelmed.
3. Resort hop – A fun way to wrap up your last day is to tour around any of the hotels you may have missed. The Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Boardwalk will all keep you busy with many fun, and mostly free, ways to stay busy and enjoy Disney. Aside from the fun things to explore at other resorts, there is also the chance to try some tasty treats before you go. If you haven’t used up all your snack credits yet from your dining plan, make sure to pick up a few from these resorts to take with you and help make the magic of Disney last a little longer at home or at least on the plane.
2. Character meal – The best way to have a great send off from Disney is to eat an awesome meal with your favorite characters at one of the many resorts that offer character dining. Since we use all our park days prior to leaving, we save a character meal for a resort. Try one of their several buffets or family style dining options if you have a long travel day planned. Some of the characters will even spend a little more time with you if you let them know it’s your last day. They are just as sad to see you leave as you are to go.
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Disney travel deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius! Discover More >
1. Book your next Disney trip – If you loved your Disney vacation, and chances are you will, then the #1 thing you do on your last day at Disney is book your next trip. Or at least look into planning it. We always joke about how our next trip is planned before ever leaving from our current one. There is just so much to see, do and taste at Disney that it’s hard to get it all done in one visit.
It is so sad that you wait and wait for your Disney trip to come, only to have it over way too quick. Hopefully some of these things will help make it last just a bit longer before heading home and you can look forward to some fun on that last day too.
Start planning your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner. They’ll help you get the best price for your vacation, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE!