The Mad Tea Party ride at Disney’s Magic Kingdom is a classic attraction that people of all ages enjoy. It is commonly referred to as the teacups. Read below 10 mesmerizing facts about the Mad Tea Party.
6 Mesmerizing Facts About The Mad Tea Party Ride At Magic Kingdom
6. Original Attraction: The Mad Tea Party is one of the original attractions at Disney’s Magic Kingdom. It originally opened in 1971 and has been spinning the teacups ever since. It was modeled directly after the same attraction in Disneyland, which opened earlier in 1955.
5. How do those teacups spin? The platform on the Mad Tea Party ride is made up of 3 platforms that turn in a clockwise fashion, and one large platform that spins the opposite (counterclockwise) way. In addition to all that spinning, guests have the ability to control how fast and in what direction they spin during the ride. Each ride lasts 1 minute and 30 seconds so enjoy every second of it!
4. The Mad Tea Party happens all over the world! The Mad Tea Party is found throughout Disney parks all around the world. At Magic Kingdom in Florida and Disneyland in California, the attraction is called the Mad Tea Party. In Tokyo Disneyland the ride is called Alice’s Tea Party. At both Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland the ride is called the Mad Hatter Tea Cups. All five rides are located inside Fantasyland at their parks.
3. The Dormouse: In the middle of all the spinning madness of teacups, there is a large teapot that is home to the adorable Dormouse. The Dormouse will put his head in and out of the teapot as you spin around. The Dormouse can only be seen at Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland.
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Disney travel deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius! Discover More >
2. Roof! At other Disney parks around the world, when it rains, the teacups stop spinning. This is not the case for our Mad Tea Party at the Magic Kingdom! In order to deal with the Florida weather, like heat and rain, a roof was installed over the whole Mad Tea Party. This allows guests to take a break from the sun if needed and allows the ride to continue spinning even in the rain. The roof was added in 1974.
1. Meet your favorites from this classic story! The outside of the Mad Tea Party is decorated with topiaries of Alice, the Mad Hatter and the March Hare. Alice, the Mad Hatter and even the White Rabbit make appearances throughout the day right beside the Mad Tea Party. They are wonderful characters to interact with and get autographs and pictures. If you’re lucky, one of them might join you for a spin on the teacups!
The Mad Tea Party is a wonderful attraction for guests of all ages! Since it is a spinning experience, we would not recommend it for anyone who is highly susceptible to motion sickness.
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Walt Disney World deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius!