Star Wars is at a crossroads. As Lucasfilm prepares its long-awaited return to theaters, the studio is making it clear that the future of the franchise won’t be dictated by familiar surnames—or family trees.

It has been nearly eight years since Star Wars last occupied the big screen, following the 2019 release of Star Wars: Episode IX–The Rise of Skywalker. Since then, the galaxy has lived primarily on Disney+, with serialized storytelling taking center stage. That changes this year with The Mandalorian and Grogu, Jon Favreau’s theatrical continuation of the Disney+ hit, set for release in May and starring Pedro Pascal and Din Grogu.
Yet Lucasfilm’s theatrical ambitions stretch further. At Star Wars Celebration 2025 in Tokyo, Kathleen Kennedy and Dave Filoni surprised attendees by formally introducing Star Wars: Starfighter, a new feature directed by Shawn Levy and starring Ryan Gosling. The film is currently scheduled for release on May 28, 2027.

According to StarWars.com, “Set approximately five years after the events of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Gosling will play a brand-new character teased by the actor’s appearance on stage.”
The announcement continued: “One of several theatrical projects still in development from Lucasfilm, including films by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, James Mangold, Taika Waititi, and a new trilogy by Simon Kinberg, Levy’s film–Star Wars: Starfighter–will star Gosling and go into production starting this fall.”
Since that reveal, Starfighter’s cast list has grown rapidly. Aaron Pierre, Simon Bird, Jamael Westman, Daniel Ings, and Amy Adams have signed on, joining Mia Goth and Matt Smith. Flynn Gray’s role has drawn attention, particularly due to rumors pointing toward a central Jedi-Padawan storyline.

What sets Starfighter apart is what it leaves behind. The film is designed to move beyond Rey Skywalker (Daisy Ridley) and the Skywalker saga entirely. Instead, it takes place in a galaxy still recovering from the fall of the First Order, with new protagonists facing unfamiliar threats. Lucasfilm has described the film as “an entirely original story set in a period of time never before explored” and “an all-new standalone adventure.”
For Levy, the project carries personal significance. “From the day Kathy Kennedy called me up, inviting me to develop an original adventure in this incredible Star Wars galaxy, this experience has been a dream come true,” said the Deadpool & Wolverine (2024) director.

Despite Lucasfilm’s messaging, industry speculation suggests Starfighter may not be a one-and-done affair. Insider reports last year claimed the film could serve as the opening chapter of a trilogy, potentially featuring a brief cameo intended to connect future stories. According to @MyTimeToShineH, Daisy Ridley’s Rey Skywalker may appear in a limited capacity to transition audiences toward her long-gestating “New Jedi Order” project.
Rumored plot details describe a young boy discovering his Force abilities while being shielded by his mother, believed to be Amy Adams’ Jedi character. That journey could eventually intersect with Rey’s, allowing Starfighter to act as a narrative bridge into Obaid-Chinoy’s New Jedi Order film.

With Gosling in the lead and Jonathan Tropper handling the screenplay, Starfighter is already one of Lucasfilm’s most closely watched projects. Whether it ultimately expands into a trilogy or remains a contained story, the film is positioned as a key piece of the studio’s broader roadmap.
Levy has been clear about his intentions. Speaking with Collider, he said: “Well, for one thing, it is different in that it is an all-new non-sequel, non-prequel adventure. It's new characters, it's a new timeline. It inherits legacy themes, but it's really trying to give Star Wars [fans]–and just movie audiences–something fresh, something new.”
He added, “And with a spirit of play and big-hearted adventure with moments of real levity that, frankly, A New Hope had in a revolutionary way.”

Levy also emphasized the creative freedom he’s been given. “My crew, my DP, Claudio Miranda, Gosling is my kind of central collaborator in the lead role. It's certainly been a dream come true. My 10-year-old self is on set with me every day,” he said.
“In fact, he's going to catch a flight tonight to go back to the set and keep shooting on Monday. But it's a huge, invigorating opportunity because Lucasfilm has been so encouraging of me doing something new.” He concluded: “There's no pressure to be derivative or limited by an obligation to what came before. There's just a love of what came before.”

As online chatter about Daisy Ridley intensified, Tropper addressed the rumors directly. Speaking to ScreenRant, he confirmed that no legacy characters appear in the film. “Obviously, lightsabers are a part of that universe and that part of that galaxy. I'm so careful not to reveal anything, but essentially, I think it's known that we have no legacy characters,” Tropper said. “You're not going to see any of the characters you've seen in the other movies. So there are certain things that are still hallmarks of Star Wars that it's good to have in there. But more than that, I can't say.”
Levy has reinforced that philosophy in multiple interviews. “Every time I’ve asked, ‘Should I use this character that was maybe in that movie?’ Every time it’s, ‘You know what? People have seen that. Do something new,’” he told The Playlist.
“There is no mandate or interference other than the constant encouragement, ‘Make this new.’ And that’s the truth,” he continued. “Unlike Solo… unlike Rise of Skywalker, which was a sequel to two other movies and ultimately a ninth film in the Skywalker saga, Starfighter is all new characters based on new ideas that Jonathan and I cooked up alone and together.”

Meanwhile, Rey Skywalker’s future remains uncertain. The Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy-led film centered on the character is widely believed to be stalled, with her next appearance now expected to occur within Simon Kinberg’s trilogy set after The Rise of Skywalker.
In her exit interview with Deadline, Kathleen Kennedy—who will soon be succeeded by Dave Filoni and Lynwen Brennan—confirmed that Kinberg’s script is still undergoing revisions, with updates anticipated in March 2026.
With The Mandalorian and Grogu and Starfighter anchoring the next phase of theatrical releases, Star Wars appears to be prioritizing filmmaker-driven projects over legacy continuation. Whether this strategy reshapes the franchise’s future remains to be seen, but Lucasfilm is clearly leaning into reinvention as it charts its next course.
How do you feel about a Star Wars without legacy characters? Let us know in the comments down below.



