The trek through the Magic Kingdom begins with the trek down Main Street, USA. Walt’s vision for replicating his childhood experience in a small American town has become iconic in its own right – drawing a considerable crowd around the clock despite lacking the attractions that other areas of the park can boast. Maybe that’s because so many Americans identify with that small town feel. Or maybe it’s because, like everything else, Disney Imagineers have gone to great lengths to submerse your senses for a unique experience. Here are 6 Amazing Facts About Main Street USA:
6. Inspiration. The entire concept for Main Street, USA in the Magic Kingdom stemmed from Walt Disney’s childhood in Marceline, Missouri. He once wrote, “To tell the truth, more things of importance happened to me in Marceline than have happened since — or are likely to in the future.” That’s quite a statement by a man who built the Disney empire! It’s no surprise then that entrance to the Magic Kingdom, and access to Cinderella’s castle, begins with Main Street, USA.
5. Decor. Marceline, Missouri wasn’t the only basis for Main Street, USA. The legendary Disney movie Lady and the Tramp also served as a source of inspiration for the architecture.
4. Symbolism. The street lamps down Main Street, USA start out as gas and become electric as you get closer to Cinderella’s castle. This was done by Imagineers to illustrate the passage through time and the advancement of technology.
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Disney travel deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius! Discover More >
3. Curb Appeal. There are no hard angles on Main Street. All of the corners are rounded due to Walt’s belief that it creates a more inviting landscape.
2. Aroma Therapy. Designed to entice guests, Disney emits various aromas on Main Street. Dubbed the “smellitzer” by park enthusiasts, the technology is part of a comprehensive strategy by Disney to not only entice you into purchasing food on Main Street, but also to serve as a nostalgic marketing tactic for their brand.
1. Design. Main Street, U.S.A. appears much larger than it actually is thanks to the Imagineers use of forced perspective. The ground level floors were built larger while the subsequent floors above become progressively smaller.
The journey down Main Street, USA incorporates a blend of sights, sounds, and smells, capturing that Disney Magic, and – at a functional level – providing the perfect “red carpet” entrance to the Magic Kingdom. What is your favorite experience on Main Street, USA?
For more interesting facts about Main St. USA, consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best price for your vacation, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius!