Very sad news from the Richard Petty Driving Experience at Walt Disney World.
Around 3:30pm today, a 36-year-old man, riding as a passenger in a Lamborghini, was killed Sunday after the car crashed into the guardrail at the Richard Petty Driving Experience in Walt Disney World. The driver of the car “failed to maneuver the vehicle through the course,” said Sgt. Kim Montes, of the Florida Highway Patrol. The driver then lost control of the car, and the right side of the Lamborghini struck the guardrail. The male passenger in the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene. The man is from Davenport.
The driver was transported to Celebration Hospital with minor injuries, Montes said. The names of the driver and passenger haven’t been released and the crash remains under investigation.
The Richard Petty Driving Experience at Walt Disney World has been open since 1997. In January 2012, the attraction was expanded to include the experience of driving exotic cars including Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Audis and Nissans in addition to driving NASCAR vehicles. While there has been a reported fatality at the Daytona Beach, FL Richard Petty Driving Experience, the track at Walt Disney World has been relatively safe since opening.
Interestingly enough, earlier this year WDW announced the intended closure of the Richard Petty Driving Experience on July 1. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those affected by this tragedy.
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Disney travel deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius! Discover More >