Star Wars is gearing up for a return to theaters, and fans might be seeing the galaxy far, far away on the big screen sooner than expected.

It’s been almost seven years since audiences last saw a Star Wars feature, with 2019’s Star Wars: Episode IX–The Rise of Skywalker closing out Disney’s sequel trilogy. In the years since, Lucasfilm has put more energy into Disney+ series such as The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and Skeleton Crew.
That streaming-first strategy is now set to change. Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni’s The Mandalorian and Grogu (2025) will transition the hit series to the silver screen, effectively replacing The Mandalorian Season 4 while marking the duo’s feature-length debut.

The film is currently scheduled for May 22, 2026. While Disney had originally slated another Star Wars release for December of that year, widely believed to be Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy’s Rey Skywalker movie, that spot has been reassigned to Ice Age 6 from 20th Century Studios.
Until recently, The Mandalorian and Grogu was the only confirmed title on the horizon. But after months of speculation, Lucasfilm officially announced that Shawn Levy’s Star Wars: Starfighter will release in May 2027. Starring Ryan Gosling, the story is set about five years after Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker.

Still, not every project is moving forward. Insider Daniel Richtman reported that Taika Waititi’s film—once teased by the director as something that would “piss people off”—has been shelved. In its place, Lucasfilm has quietly restarted development on Patty Jenkins’ Rogue Squadron.
The Wonder Woman (2017) filmmaker shared her perspective on the evolving process in an interview earlier this year.
“So, when I left Star Wars to do Wonder Woman 3, I thought maybe I’ll come back to Star Wars after Wonder Woman 3,” Jenkins told Collider in March 2024. “So we did a deal for that to happen, started a deal, but I thought I was doing Wonder Woman.”

“When that went away, Lucasfilm and I were like, oh, we gotta finish this deal. We finished the deal right as the [WGA/SAG-AFTRA] strike was happening. So I now owe a draft of Star Wars and so we will see what happens there. You know, like, who knows?” Jenkins continued.
Discussing the challenge of relaunching the saga theatrically, Jenkins admitted:
“It’s hard, they have a hard job in front of them of what’s the first movie they’re gonna do. They have other directors who have been working, but I am now, you know, I’m back on doing Rogue Squadron and we’ll see what happens. We need to develop, you know, get it to where we’re both super happy with it.”

That update aligns with Richtman’s latest claim. “According to industry insider Daniel Richtman, Patty Jenkins’ Rogue Squadron movie is back in development at Lucasfilm,” The Direct reports. “Specifically, Richtman revealed the news via Patreon, simply confirming that Lucasfilm took it off the shelf and that it is currently being worked on in some capacity.”
Originally revealed in December 2020, Rogue Squadron was designed to focus on a new generation of pilots and take the saga into new territory. After being removed from Disney’s release lineup in 2021, the film seemed destined to fade away. Now, Richtman’s reporting suggests it has new life, though no release date has been set.

Other major projects remain in the mix. Daisy Ridley will headline a film about Rey founding a new Jedi Order, while Filoni is expected to wrap up the New Republic era with his own feature. James Mangold will explore the earliest origins of the Force in Dawn of the Jedi.
Taika Waititi, whose movie may no longer be in play, had previously shared his cautious approach to Star Wars. Speaking on The Kelly Clarkson Show while promoting Next Goal Wins (2023), he said:
“I’ve been developing [the Star Wars film] for a few years, but I think with any film, but that one in particular, it’s something I’d really like to get right, so I don’t want to rush it. It’s going to bubble along on the side.”

That bubble now appears to have burst, though Kathleen Kennedy has said the project could still happen one day. Fans remain skeptical given Lucasfilm’s history of canceling high-profile titles.
Adding another wrinkle, Simon Kinberg is working on a new trilogy that could become Episodes X through XII. The development raises questions about how Obaid-Chinoy’s Rey film—thought to be Episode X—might fit within the franchise’s broader narrative.
For now, the future of Star Wars promises both familiar heroes and uncharted stories. While the franchise’s film slate has been unpredictable, the galaxy continues to grow in unexpected ways—and Rogue Squadron’s revival could be one of the biggest surprises yet.
How do you feel about Rogue Squadron’s return? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!


