BusinessMovies & EntertainmentNews

One in Four Americans Barred From Watching ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ Return on Tuesday

Jimmy Kimmel Live! has become the center of one of the biggest media controversies of the year. What began as a suspension by Disney-owned ABC has now expanded into a broadcasting battle that will prevent nearly one in four American households from seeing Jimmy Kimmel’s return to late-night television on Tuesday night.

The Walt Disney Company announced last week that it would be suspending production of Jimmy Kimmel Live! after Kimmel’s remarks about the assassination of political commentator Charlie Kirk. During one of his monologues, Kimmel took aim at the “MAGA gang desperately trying to characterize” Kirk’s alleged killer “as anything other than one of them,” before shifting to President Donald Trump’s response to the death.

When asked how he was handling the tragedy, Trump replied that he was “very good,” and bragged about a new ballroom being built at the White House. Kimmel responded: “Yes, he’s at the fourth stage of grief: construction. This is not how an adult grieves the murder of someone he called a friend.”

The fallout was immediate. Nexstar and Sinclair announced they would not air Jimmy Kimmel Live! and issued a list of conditions before they would reconsider. Among their demands: a public apology to Kirk’s family and a donation to Turning Point USA, his conservative nonprofit.

Charlie Kirk claps on a stage.
Credit: Gage Skidmore, Flickr

The situation escalated further when Federal Communications Commission chair Brendan Carr appeared to threaten retaliation against ABC, Nexstar, and Sinclair if they broadcast the program. His comments sparked heated debate about government censorship, with viewers on both sides of the political spectrum weighing in. Many Disney fans expressed outrage, canceling Disney+ subscriptions and vacations to protest what they viewed as the company bowing to political pressure.

Even former President Trump added fuel to the fire. “Jimmy Kimmel was fired because he had bad ratings more than anything else, and he said a horrible thing about a great gentleman known as Charlie Kirk,” Trump said. “They should have fired him a long time ago, so you know, you can call that free speech or not. He was fired for lack of talent.”

Donald Trump at a rally
Credit: Gage Skidmore, Flickr

On Monday, Disney said the late-night show would return on September 23. The company explained that it had “suspend[ed] production on the show to avoid further inflaming a tense situation at an emotional moment for our country,” describing Kimmel’s remarks as “ill-timed and thus insensitive.” Disney added that “thoughtful conversations” had taken place with Kimmel (and his legal team), though it did not specify whether he intended to comply with broadcaster demands.

That same evening, Sinclair announced it would not be airing the return of Jimmy Kimmel Live!. “Beginning Tuesday night, Sinclair will be preempting ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ across our ABC affiliate stations and replacing it with news programming,” the company said. “Discussions with ABC are ongoing as we evaluate the show’s potential return.”

A man in a black suit and tie smiles while sitting at a desk on a talk show set, with a cityscape backdrop featuring tall buildings and a starry night sky, reminiscent of the classic style seen on Jimmy Kimmel’s show.
Credit: Video Screenshot, ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’, ABC

Nexstar followed suit, issuing its own statement on Tuesday: “We made a decision last week to preempt ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ following what ABC referred to as Mr Kimmel’s ‘ill-timed and insensitive’ comments at a critical time in our national discourse. We stand by that decision pending assurance that all parties are committed to fostering an environment of respectful, constructive dialogue in the markets we serve. In the meantime, we note that ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ will be available nationwide on multiple Disney-owned streaming products, while our stations will focus on continuing to produce local news and other programming relevant to their respective markets.”

NEW: Nexstar will continue to preempt Jimmy Kimmel Live, joining Sinclair. The show will air on ABC in dozens of major markets.

With Nexstar and Sinclair standing firm, about 23% of American households will not be able to see Jimmy Kimmel Live! on live television. Bloomberg reporter Lucas Shaw (@lucas_shaw on X, formerly Twitter) said Kimmel will address the controversy in his opening monologue on Tuesday.

Kimmel will address the controversy at the top of his show tomorrow. I wouldn’t expect an apology or an escalation.

Jimmy Kimmel Live! is scheduled to air on Tuesday night at 11:35 p.m. EST / 10:35 p.m. CST across 77% of U.S. markets. Clips will be uploaded to YouTube and ABC, with full episodes available on DirecTV, Hulu + Live TV, and Fubo.

Was ABC in the wrong for suspending Jimmy Kimmel Live! in the first place? Share your thoughts with Disney Fanatic in the comments!

Jess Colopy

Jess Colopy is a Disney College Program alum and kid-at-heart. When she’s not furiously typing in a coffee shop, you can find her on the hunt for the newest Stitch pin.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Articles