Lucasfilm is preparing to return Star Wars to theaters in 2026, its first big-screen release since Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
But as that date approaches, attention has shifted back to Daisy Ridley's upcoming Rey-led film — and to renewed speculation that Ben Solo may factor into the story after all.

The film, first announced at Star Wars Celebration 2023, is set 15 years after The Rise of Skywalker and follows Rey as she attempts to rebuild the Jedi Order.
While the project remains officially untitled and uncast beyond Ridley, recent comments and industry reporting have placed it back at the center of Lucasfilm’s theatrical plans.
The Film Lucasfilm Is Building Around Rey
Ridley’s return is currently the most advanced post-saga project on Lucasfilm’s slate.
The Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy–directed film has experienced multiple development changes, with three writers exiting the project. No replacement team has been formally announced, and Lucasfilm has not provided an updated timeline.

Despite that uncertainty, Ridley has spoken positively about the project while promoting We Bury the Dead.
“I am six years older. I am in a different moment. I think the story will be wonderful,” Ridley told ComicBook. “I think the wait will be worthwhile. I think it will be a discovery, as all roles are, of where Rey is when we meet her again.”
Those remarks framed the film as a continuation rather than a reset, without addressing which legacy characters may return.
That omission has become increasingly notable.
During a recent appearance on The Drew Barrymore Show, Ridley revisited the ending of Episode IX, where Ben Solo sacrifices himself to save Rey.
When Barrymore asked where that story could go next, Ridley responded with a brief pause and a single word.
“Mm-hmm.”
Why Ben Solo Is Part of the Conversation Again
Adam Driver has not been announced as part of the Rey film. However, late last year, the actor acknowledged interest in continuing Ben Solo’s story.
That interest previously centered on a proposed standalone project titled The Hunt for Ben Solo, which was ultimately scrapped by Disney.

With that film cancelled and the Rey project still evolving, some fans have speculated that elements of the two concepts may be converging.
Daisy Ridley really held back on Drew Barrymore’s show when asked about the New Jedi Order movie:
“A new film is coming and it will be great.”
When Drew expressed excitement for what might happen after Ben Solo disappears in Episode 9, Daisy just nodded:
“Mmm.”

Cue the fan theories.
“The Hunt for Ben Solo was cancelled because it’s being mixed with the New Jedi Order as a single film,” theorized one X user.
Another said, “It really seems like the rey movie is going to be the ben solo movie repackaged with this promo.”
tell me ben solo is in the rey movie without telling me ben solo is in the re movie
tell me ben solo is in the rey movie without telling me ben solo is in the re movie https://t.co/HxwCVVeA6E
— vault dweller sophie (@ivyreys) January 6, 2026
Ridley has avoided confirming any such connection – or how much she knew about the Ben Solo film before its cancellation.
“I hear things,” she told The Hollywood Reporter in December. “I've got my ear to the ground.”
The speculation arrives as Lucasfilm begins to transition away from its Disney+ focus.
According to industry insider Daniel Richtman, The Mandalorian & Grogu and Ahsoka Season 2 are expected to conclude the MandoVerse storyline launched by The Mandalorian.

That shift would leave the Rey film as Lucasfilm’s primary bridge back to theatrical storytelling — and its most direct opportunity to revisit the sequel trilogy.
Reylo remains divisive within the fanbase. Critics argue the relationship conflicts with Star Wars’ traditional moral framework, citing Kylo Ren's actions and allegiance to the dark side.
Others point to uneven writing across the sequel trilogy, suggesting the dynamic was implied rather than fully developed.

At the same time, audience interest has proven durable. Reylo fan fiction has crossed into mainstream publishing, including “The Hurricane Wars” and “The Love Hypothesis.”
The latter is now being adapted for film, starring Daisy Ridley’s husband, Tom Bateman, in a role inspired by Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren.
As Lucasfilm finalizes its post-MandoVerse strategy, the Rey film remains its clearest path forward — and the clearest test of whether the studio is willing to engage with the most debated relationship of the sequel era.
Do you think Lucasfilm should greenlight a Rey and Kylo Ren film?



I think they should just greenlight #TheHuntForBenSolo already, since the script is complete and production was ready to start before Iger and Bergman got in the way. It’ll be ready far sooner than the New Jedi Order, and because Rey and Ben are two halves of a whole, it only makes sense that Rey would be a big part of the story. It could also be ready far sooner that New Jedi Order, which, given the time skip, should take place after The Hunt for Ben Solo and feature him helping out more troubled students who have difficulty managing their “dark” feelings.
There are SO MANY exited and dying to see #TheHuntForBenSolo that Disney should just say YES already! Its easy money! I know I would see it at least 3-4 times myself just to enjoy seeing Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley in a movie together again and I know so many others that would love to see it!
this is a diamond that will be appreciated – revive hope, SW, Filoni, Disney