Don’t disappoint the Queen of Hearts this Valentine’s Day by making these delicious allergy friendly mini tarts. The sweet strawberry filling along with the hint of coconut flavor is a perfect combination for this delicious treat.
- -1½ cups gluten-free, nut-free, all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out the dough
- -2 tablespoons sugar
- -½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- -½ teaspoon salt
- -¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- -8 – 10 tablespoons water
- -¼ melted coconut oil
- -1/3 cup gluten-free strawberry fruit spread
- -Rolling pin
- -Round cookie cutter (about 2¾ –3 inches in diameter)
- -Small heart-shape fondant or cookie cutter (about 1¼ inches wide)
- -Muffin pan and baking sheet
- -Cooling rack
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Mickey Travels. They’ll help you get the best Disney travel deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius! Discover More >
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, xanthan gum, salt, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl until well blended.
3. In a small bowl, stir 2 tablespoons of the water into the coconut oil. Then, drizzle the liquid mixture into the flour mixture, stirring with a fork the whole time to evenly distribute it.
4. Sprinkle in more of the remaining water a tablespoon at a time, continuing to stir, stopping when the dough is sticky enough to shape into a ball. Divide the dough into two equal portions, and flatten each of them into a thick disk.
5. Dust a sheet of waxed paper with more of the flour, and place one of the dough disks on top. Then sprinkle more flour atop the dough. Cover the dough with another sheet of waxed paper. Roll out the dough between the sheets until it is about 3/8 inch thick, dusting it with more flour during the process if needed to keep it from sticking to the paper.
6. Use the round cookie cutter to cut out 5 or 6 pastry circles. Gently fit the pastry circles into the bottoms of the cups of an un-greased muffin pan, using a spatula to lift them from the waxed paper. Cut out an equal number of pastry hearts from the dough scraps, and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
7. Bake the hearts and the tart shells in the heated oven just until they begin to brown slightly, about 6–8 minutes for the hearts and 12–14 minutes for the tarts. Allow the baked pastries to cool slightly in the pans before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
8. Whisk the strawberry fruit spread in a small bowl until it is light and easy to spoon. Fill each tart shell with fruit spread topped with a baked heart. Enjoy!
Enjoy these delicious treats with your Queen of Hearts.