How do you like your potatoes? Do you like them mashed, served up as fries? Do you take to tatter tots or are you the casserole tattering type? Perhaps even a soothing spud-laden soup is more your thing. Whatever your precise potato hankering you should know that
Walt Disney World Resort offers up a bustling food scene boasting a broad range of versatile options to go around. And this of course includes plenty of potato-based possibilities. From classic favorites done up to the nines to novel specialties that are exclusive to a particular establishment, here are 10 tasty tatter options that you simply must try while making your rounds at Walt Disney World Resort.
10. Friar’s Nook Tots
This quick-service spot within Fantasyland, over at the Magic Kingdom, has been a top tatter tot go-to for many years. And because they open bright and early, they even offer a unique breakfast-based spin in the form of their exclusive Sausage and Gravy Tots feature. Other tempting tot renditions you can have throughout the day include their popular Creamy Bacon Macaroni & Cheese Tots specialty or simply Tots and Cheese Sauce offering.
9. Chili and Cheese Tots
Friar’s Nook isn’t the only tot hot spot in Disney World, though. You may know of the Beach Club Resort’s resident Beaches & Cream Soda Shop as being home to the infamous Kitchen Sink and other sundae specialties. But it also happens to be the place where you can find decked-out Chili Cheese Tots. Loaded up with the obvious chili and cheese referenced by its name, these tantalizing tots also pack on the sour cream and green onion. Those following a plant-based diet take note, Beaches & Cream also offers a vegan variation of the aforementioned, with vegetarian chili, dairy-free cheese, and sour cream leading the show. And for those looking for something even more filling, there’s their featured Cheese and Bacon Tots, which come dressed up in cheese sauce, bacon, red onions, and garlic-peppercorn ranch. Enjoy your tots here any which way you choose, even if that means plain, which they also offer.
These flavorfully packed morsels have been a Hollywood Studios hit ever since Woody’s Lunch Box first opened at the Park’s Toy Story Land. If you like potato barrels then you’re going to love this robust concoction that dresses the familiar tots up with all the works, including hearty beef and bean chili, cheese, tomatoes, and corn chips. Topping it all off is a crown of sour cream and a sprinkling of green onion. Those who adhere to a plant-based diet can rejoice in their own Totcho rendition as well, which incorporates vegan chili and cheese.
7. Specialty Fries
Because French fries are among one of the most familiar potato-based pleasures in society, we couldn’t overlook them in our tally of tasty tater options. And thanks to the many venues throughout Walt Disney World Resort that have spun their own spin on the spuds, there are many specialty fries to try as an alternative to the usual. Here are a couple of examples:
- Plaza Loaded Fries—Over at the Plaza Restaurant in Magic Kingdom Park, this appealing appetizer, intended to be shared by two, comes loaded up with melted cheddar, house-made bacon, green onion, and a garnish of spicy sour cream.
- Mr. Kamal’s Seasoned Fries—Served up over at the Animal Kingdom’s famed quick-service hit Mr. Kamal’s, the uniquely flavored fries here feature a specialty seasoning you’re sure to crave. And if that’s not enough, you get the option to choose from an exotic collection of unique dipping sauces. Current offerings are a curried honey mustard sauce and Korean chili ketchup.
- Walt’s Chili Cheese Fries—Walt’s Chili is being served up at many locations throughout Walt Disney World Resort, in light of the ongoing 50th-anniversary celebrations. And if you want to try a variation of classic chili cheese fries with waffle fries and plowed down with a heaping helping of Walt’s own classic, just head on over to Golden Oak Outpost over in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom Park.
- Chili Cheese Fries—Not to be outdone, you can also snag this hearty hit over at Casey’s Corner, also located within the Magic Kingdom.
- Steak Fries—It’s to be expected that a park that doesn’t shy away from the glamor of Tinsel Town would offer a starring French Fry that’s bigger and bolder than all the rest. Cut thick and sprinkled with tangy steak seasoning, you can get these beauties at AMC Commissary over in Hollywood Studios.
- Fish and Chips—We can’t overlook this fabled Brit hit, which you can have in its most genuine form, at several Disney World locations. Over at Rose & Crown Dining Room they offer it up as a signature dish that comes beer-battered and served alongside house tartar sauce. If you’re in a hurry, you can also snag some at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop. Head to Raglan Road or Cookes of Dublin in Disney Springs where they too are known to proudly dish up such delights.
This Canadian classic, which traditionally comes served as classic French fries and curds, is another popular potato possibility offered at quite a couple locations throughout Walt Disney World Resort. If you’re making your rounds through EPCOT, stop at the Canada Pavilion. If you’re in a hurry, you can find Traditional Poutine on the menu at Refreshment Port, which also pours on the beef gravy to accompany the aforementioned fries and curds. But if you have time for a signature, upscale meal there’s Cellier Steakhouse, which offers up some very unique takes on poutine, including their Beef Stir-fry and Beef Bourguignon, in addition to their Signature delight. For even more poutine profusions, head on over to Disney Springs to the location rightfully named The Daily Poutine. Here they’ve taken poutine on an international upgrade, with such novelties as Italian, New Delhi, Korean, Irish, and other dressed up customizations.
5. Mashed Potatoes
Because potatoes come in many formats, we had to pay tribute to one of the most popular ways to enjoy them—mashed. As a contested comfort food, it goes without saying that there are numerous locations throughout Walt Disney World Resort serving them up as a side. So rather than trying to nail them all down, we’re paying tribute to one house offering in particular—Narcoossee’s Signature Mashed Potatoes. An enhancement to the usual additions, these stunning spuds are whipped up in a blended mix of bacon, cheddar, chives, and crème fraiche.
4. Bangers and Mash
Here’s another classic from across the pond. And rightly so, it too features mashed potatoes. You’ll find it being offered once more at EPCOT’s Rose & Crown, topping off traditional English sausage with Colcannon potatoes, mushroom, onion, and red wine demi-glace. Raglan Road has their specialty Bangin’ Bangers & Mighty Mash, which comes presented as Cheshire heritage pork, Irish potatoes, and onion gravy.
3. “Loaded” Potato-Cheese Casserole
If you’re looking for a unique way to get your potato fixing early on in the day, consider breakfast at Chef Mickey’s over at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. More specifically, try their signature “Loaded” Potato-Cheese Casserole. Pretty self-explanatory as to what the two main ingredients are, this culinary marvel also gets topped off with smoked bacon crumbles and green onion.
Related: 7 Things We Love About Chef Mickey’s
2. Roasted Garlic Gratin Potatoes
Another pleasing potato rendition you can try at Chef Mickey’s at dinnertime are is this sizzling spud specialty. Roasted up with an emboldened garlicky flavor, their signature Mickey’s Parmesan Frico is what really elevates the overall presentation.
1. French Onion Soup Au Gratin
Sometimes you just want to settle down with some nice and hearty soup. And if you’re looking for potato soup in particular, we suggest you head on over to Boatwright’s Hall, over at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort—Riverside. Their signature French Onion Soup Au Gratin truly goes above and beyond, comprising of Gruyère cheese, onions, and toasted croutons, blended together in a beef broth.
Because not all Disney venues have reopened, there are some palatable potato picks we’re still missing greatly, and eagerly hoping to see make a comeback soon. Two such examples are the signature Potato Casserole at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, offered during breakfast time, and Monsieur Paul’s dinner specialty Red Snapper in Potato “Scales.” There’s also a longtime missed Disney exclusive that used to be featured on the menu of the Empress Lilly long ago. We’re of course talking about their legendary house Au Gratin Potatoes—a Disney classic that just can’t be beat.
As you venture through Disney World, you’re bound to find even more tasty tater variations than what we’ve touched on. So, whether you like your spuds on the side or as the main, mouthwatering feature, the potato possibilities are altogether plentiful!