In celebration of its 70th anniversary on July 17, 2025, Disneyland Resort introduced a groundbreaking new attraction: “Walt Disney – A Magical Life,” featuring the first-ever animatronic representation of Walt Disney. But like most things in the theme park fan community, the unveiling has not been without its share of controversy.
Earlier this week, “Walt Disney – A Magical Life” quickly became a topic of discussion after Disney shared a sneak peek at its star animatronic. The robot, which features a remarkable lean-to-stand motion and lifelike expression, moved many Disney Parks fans to tears. However, others were less impressed, feeling that the animatronic did not truly capture the essence of Walt Disney, the visionary behind Mickey Mouse and Disneyland Resort.

The animatronic was brought to life through a collaboration between Walt Disney Imagineering and the Walt Disney Family Museum, which was founded by Diane Disney Miller and Walter E.D. Miller. Roy P. Disney, Walt’s grandnephew, stood on stage as the company announced the animatronic at D23 Expo 2024. Still, some members of Walt’s family expressed concerns soon after “Walt Disney – A Magical Life” was announced. Joanna Miller, Walt’s granddaughter, publicly opposed the project, feeling it was a disservice to Walt’s legacy.
“I strongly feel the last two minutes with the robot will do much more harm than good to Grampa’s legacy,” Joanna Miller explained. “They will remember the robot, and not the man.”
She also mentioned that her mother, Walt’s daughter, had reportedly said that Walt never wanted to become an audio-animatronic. However, no official records of this conversation exist.

“In all our research, we never found any documentation of Walt saying that,” said Imagineer Jeff Shaver-Moskowitz. “It’s anecdotal, and we can’t confirm private conversations.”
Despite the pushback, Disneyland Resort moved forward with the debut of “Walt Disney – A Magical Life” in the Main Street Opera House. But just hours after the attraction opened on Thursday, the animatronic malfunctioned. A video shared by Instagram user @we_dont_wear_ears shows the attraction shutting down just 2.5 hours after Disneyland Park opened that morning:
View this post on Instagram
The malfunction occurred when the animatronic performed its most complex movement: stepping forward from a lean on his desk. An emergency stop was activated, causing the stage lights to go out, though Walt’s mouth continued to move. However, the audio cut off, and the curtains closed quickly.
As some guests booed, Disney cast members informed them they needed to evacuate the Main Street Opera House.
“We do apologize,” a Disney cast member said. “We are having technical difficulties right now.”

Many Disney Parks fans compared this malfunction to the breakdowns that marred Disneyland Park’s opening day in 1955, when attractions failed, concrete melted, and ticket issues caused overcrowding.
“Same as opening day in 1955 🥲,” @sarah_c2photo said. “It’s bound to happen … Walt sending some humor on the 70th.”

“What an irony considering the park had problems opening day,” @crimson_snake agreed.
Others claimed the malfunction was a sign that the animatronic should never have been created in the first place.
“The spirit of Walt said ‘that ain’t me. Shut it down,’” @shelbyforgovernor wrote.

Despite the glitch, “Walt Disney – A Magical Life” reopened on Thursday after the brief closure. The attraction is currently only accessible through a Virtual Queue, which opens twice daily: once at 7:00 a.m. for those with Disneyland Park reservations or Park Hopper ticket holders with Disney California Adventure Park reservations, and once again at noon for guests inside Disneyland Park or those with Park Hopper tickets inside Disney California Adventure Park.
After its initial run, “Walt Disney – A Magical Life” will alternate performances with “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.”
What do you think about the Walt Disney animatronic? Disney Fanatic would love to hear from you in the comments!




I know Disney is always pushing forward but sometimes at what cost? I’ve seen them set a time limit on things and come hell or high water that’s when it’s going to happen. I’m betting a month ago there were some emaginears saying we need to move the date back another month to be comfortably ready and the because the suites have already informed others of a ready date. That’s what’s going to happen. I saw it working like that at the Disney Springs opening. The last three weeks was organized chaos. To get it open on the date said instead of just taking a breath and throwing caution to the wind and delivering that perfection we’ve all become accustomed to from them. I’ve been much more impressed with what they can do when it’s quietly being done in the background with fans doing the anouncing because of the experience instead of flash showing.